What If I Can't Do It?
Anne Presuel, Rev.
(Add or view comments at the bottom of the page.)
If I had a dollar for every time I've either heard someone say, "What if I can't do it?" (or said it myself), I think I'd be rich!
This question is one of the most challenging questions that every spiritual, heart-centered entrepreneur faces as they grow their business.
I faced this question over ten years ago when I first started my business. I was terrified, and at the time, I was a single mom to a teen-age daughter. Seriously ... what if I couldn't build my business?
But I had two things going for me:
1. My desire to create my business was stronger than my fear of failing.
2. Tapping. God bless tapping! Because truth to tell, I'm not sure I'd have made it to where I am today without it. (Well, that's just silly. I KNOW I wouldn't be here without it!)
For those of you new to this, tapping is EFT (the Emotional Freedom Technique), a simple, easy-to-use acupressure technique which helps remove blocks.
I personally use it for removing the mental blocks which keep me stuck.
When I was in the Seminary, this same question surfaced among my fellow seminarians. What if we couldn't do it? (Be a minister.) What if we failed? It's a common fear. We worked our way through our fears together and were ordained in one of the most moving ceremonies I've ever experienced. And we all became ministers.
Then I decided to re-create my business -- this time online. I had had a delightful and successful healing practice, complete with beautiful office space when I lived in Virginia, and when we moved to Florida, I knew I never wanted to have to uproot my business again. I wanted to be able to take my business wherever I went. Creating it online was the answer. But boy, oh boy, it was very different.
The technology was a challenge, but my mindset was the bigger challenge. What if I couldn't do it? Again, thank God for tapping!
Which brings us to today. Last week, I had a session with a client who is starting on this business-building journey. Her main question was, "Can I do this?"
I smiled inside as I recognized this very familiar fear, and said, "Well, let's tap on that and see what happens." In a very short time, she moved from being too afraid -- to being inspired ... and then she took the very action she had been so afraid to take.
Whenever we step into a new way of being, whether it is creating a new business, or doing our business in a new way (e.g., leveraging our time by offering group work vs exchanging time for money by working with clients one-on-one), or we step up to a new level of business ownership, we find ourselves facing the same question: "Can I do it?", and the fear that is always underneath that -- "What if I can't?"
To which I will always respond: "Well, let's tap on that, because what if you can?"
You and I are given dreams that, with the help of the Divine, we are fully capable of bringing into being. It is up to us, however, to get out of the way of ourselves and our fears, and to follow the guidance that we are given. Our intuition will never guide us wrong, but our fears will keep us from taking the actions we are given. The Divine is just waiting to help you, to support you, to lift you up. But you have to let it in. You have to say "Yes!" to it. The changes won't happen without you taking the action you need to take.
Here are some action steps to help you move through some of your own blocks:
1. Take a look at a specific situation where you are saying to yourself, "What if I can't?"
2. Write down 3 fears you have that keep you from taking action. Pick the biggest one.
3. Write down 5 reasons that support you in thinking you could create what you want to create -- like "I'm persistent", "I'm creative", "I'm smart".
4. Tap on the fear. Try saying, "Even though I'm afraid because (enter your fear here), I also know that I have (enter here a reason or two that support you) to help me. (If you need to know where the tapping points are, they are on my website under "Tapping Points".)
5. Finish your tapping with, "I am strong. I am capable. And I am supported by the Divine in all ways, always. I can do this!"
6. Check in with yourself to see how you feel. If you need to tap more, just do it!
7. Then go take some action to help you anchor this new belief.
Before long, you'll be asking yourself "What if I can?" questions as you build your confidence in your ability to move through your fears and doubts. And, how fabulous is that!
View All Articles by this Author
Rev. Anne Presuel, Interfaith Minister, Divine Intuitive, and master energy therapist, coaches conscious, heart-centered (and often overwhelmed) entrepreneurs to tune into their own 6th sense while building 6-figure businesses. Her approach uses Law of Attraction principles, affirmations, and subtle energy techniques (EFT). Get your FREE "Activate Your Intuition Now!" Kit at http://DivinelyIntuitiveBusiness.com.
Leave a Comment
Disclaimer: All information on this website is for educational purposes only, and the content is not intended to suggest that it is a
substitute for proper medical care or good common sense.
While EFT has produced remarkable clinical results, it must still be considered to be in the experimental stage
and thus practitioners and the public must take complete responsibility for their use of it.
In addition, the articles on this site represent the views of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the
founder of EFT, Gary Craig, nor the owner of this web site, Stefan Gonick.